You have identified your dream residency or intensive workshop. You’ve polished your writing sample to perfection. You’ve set time aside to fill out the application form. But then it happens—a required and dreaded Artist Statement looming over the horizon. But what is it? Why is it? And more importantly, how can you even write it?
In this single-session class, writer and residency-aficionado Ines Bellina will clarify the mysteries of the Artist Statement through discussion, writing exercises and actual samples.
Topics covered include:
- Why residencies, workshops and other publishing opportunities still require them
- Basic structure and best practices
- Common pitfalls and mistakes
- Strategies for reframing the artist statement as an opportunity instead of an obstacle
- Tips on how to tailor one template for multiple applications
By the end class, students will have enough material to draft their very own artist statement.