This class is sold out. Please put your name on the waitlist to be notified if a spot opens up, or for the next offering of this program.
Before you take the plunge for Novel in a Year, join us for the Six-Month Spark.
Are you past the first steps of novel writing, but not quite ready for a year-long program? Maybe you’re looking for accountability for the middle part of your novel, or a way to keep momentum going. Whatever your situation, this six month program is designed to keep you writing, spark inspiration, and steer your novel in the right direction.
HOW IT WORKS
This six month class is open to all genres and will meet twice a month:
- One monthly class session will be devoted to generative in-class writing exercises and discussion of readings.
- The other monthly class session will focus on workshop, planning/drafting how-tos, and craft discussion.
No applications necessary. First come, first served for registration. Maximum of 12 students.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Specific topics covered during class include:
- the purpose of dialogue
- sources of tension
- setting as it relates to pace
- character building
- voice and pov
- the publication process
Students should expect to emerge from class with a deeper understanding of their idea, more pages than they started with, a clearer voice, and the confidence to move forward with their manuscript.
This program also includes a one-on-one half hour meeting with the instructor outside of class time. Prior to this meeting students have the opportunity to submit up to 30 pages of manuscript for one-on-one critique, line edits, and comprehensive verbal feedback. Students may also use this meeting time for personalized strategy discussion or planning.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS CLASS
Including, but not limited to:
- Novelists who are in the beginning stages of their projects, or in the middle, who want to develop their ideas and pages further.
- Novelists who want to prepare for one of our Novel in a Year programs.
- Novelists who have taken a previous course with us (Creative Writing Essentials, Jumpstart Your Novel, Over the Hump, etc.)
Class roster is limited to 12 students.
Class Dates are the second and fourth Tuesday of every month, for a total of 12 sessions:
Payment plans available upon request.