Online for summer 2021
StoryStudio is proud to offer multiple week-long writing workshops for young scribes across the nation. That’s right, now that we’re online, you can join us from anywhere. With our talented instructors, young writers can expect to learn elements of writing, build friendships and community with fellow peers, and get feedback on their creative works. Check out our different sessions here, ranging from 5th grade to 12th grade, a special session for our genre writers, and a new fourth camp for generative writing.
SCHOLARSHIP SPOTS are available for every camp. Please contact us for information on how to get a scholarship spot for your young writer.
9-12th 3k Write!
July 19 – 23 / 10am – 12pm Central
For 2021, we’re excited to introduce this new week-long creative writing camp with Sahar Mustafah.
Are you working on a new story or novel-in-progress? Do you have a story idea you’d love to flesh out? Join the 3K WRITE!
This week-long camp will give you the space and support to really push your writing to the finish line. Our goal is to compose 3000 words for an existing project or a new one. Best of all, campers get to meet other teenage writers who are serious and excited about their stories.
If you participated in the 9th-12th Grade Camp scheduled the previous week, this camp is a great opportunity to continue the stories you began. Any new students are also welcome to join, regardless if you participated in a previous camp or not.
The week will have several components:
- Author’s Craft: Campers will explore major elements of story including plot, dialogue, characters, and setting, and how these can be powerfully developed in their own project.
- Writing: Each session will include writing time for campers to reach their 3000-word count (or close!). Writing prompts and activities will also be included to further spark imagination, help break through blocks, and encourage new heights of creativity.
- Special Guest Author Visit: A published author will share their craft secret with campers and they will experiment with it in their own work.
- Workshopping: Sharing work and giving feedback on what’s working well, and discovering new opportunities in each piece.
- 1-1 Manuscript Conference: Campers will have an opportunity to discuss their works-in-progress with facilitator Sahar Mustafah and receive constructive feedback to help push the writing toward their individual goals
- Showcase: Campers will have the opportunity to read from their written work via Zoom. A link can be shared with friends and family members from around the globe; anyone who wants to tune in is welcome.
Daily Timeline & Breakdowns
- 10am: 45 mins
Warm-up and community-building
Mentor text reading & craft discussion
- 6-minute break
- 10:45 am: 35 minutes – Individual Studio Time & Break-out sessions with Facilitator
- 8-minute break
- 11:45 am: Whole community share
Honoring the day’s work
- 12pm: END
Former campers during a breakout session.
Our Zoom accounts at StoryStudio are protected and easy to use. Invite links will be sent and recurring meetings can be accessed every morning. No prior experience with Zoom is necessary, as the platform is free, and easy to use.