Online for summer 2021
StoryStudio is proud to offer multiple week-long writing workshops for young scribes across the nation. That’s right, now that we’re online, you can join us from anywhere. With our talented instructors, young writers can expect to learn elements of writing, build friendships and community with fellow peers, and get feedback on their creative works. Check out our different sessions here, ranging from 5th grade to 12th grade, a special session for our genre writers, and a new fourth camp for generative writing.
SCHOLARSHIP SPOTS are available for every camp. Please contact us for information on how to get a scholarship spot for your young writer.
9-12th Grade Camp
July 5 – 9 / 10am – 12:00pm Central
For 2021, we’re excited to welcome back Sahar Mustafah to the Studio for this week-long creative writing camp.
Do you love to write? Do you spend your free time scribbling in notebooks, scratching poems in the margins of your math homework, and thinking up stories and characters? Then this workshop is for you—guaranteed to inspire you and keep you writing all summer long!
In this week-long Creative Writing Camp, campers will write without worrying about grades or deadlines, create new work and polish existing pages, and work closely with professional writers who will help to guide their process and answer any questions about writing, publishing, living the writing life, and more.
At the end of the week, the writers will present their stories and leave with a poem, short story, monologue, essay, or even a graphic novel. Best of all, campers get to meet other teenage writers who are serious and excited about their stories!
The week will have several components:
- Author’s Craft: Campers will engage in short, published pieces as we explore ways professional writers produce vivid, imaginative work. We’ll investigate how language comes to life on the page and “borrow” those techniques as we experiment in our own writing.
- Writing: Writing prompts and activities will spark imagination, help break through blocks, and encourage new heights of creativity. Campers will have a chance to explore various genres including poetry, flash fiction, and graphic memoir.
- Workshopping: Sharing work and giving feedback on what’s working well and what opportunities we can find in each piece (whether it’s fiction, nonfiction, poetry, or theater). We’ll talk about where we can extend scenes and dialogue to push the narrative, how word choice can affect the piece as a whole, how to spice up language and how writers can find—and trust—their own amazing original voice.
- Showcase: Campers will have the opportunity to rehearse and perform their written work via Zoom. A link can be shared with friends and family members from around the globe; anyone who wants to tune in is welcome.
Daily Timeline & Breakdowns
- 10am: 40 mins
Warm-up and community-building
Mentor text reading & craft discussion
- 10 min break
- 10:50am: 40 mins – Individual Studio Time & Break-out sessions
- 5 min stretch between activities
11:40am: 20 mins – Whole community share & craft discussion
Honoring the day’s work
- 12:00pm: END
Previous campers at the end of a week of writing.
Our Zoom accounts at StoryStudio are protected and easy to use. Invite links will be sent and recurring meetings can be accessed every morning. No prior experience with Zoom is necessary, as the platform is free, and easy to use.