INTENSIVE COACHING COHORTS
Have you ever wanted to join an intimate – yet highly dedicated – creative writing group where the leader can give you intensive one-on-one mentorship and feedback? Are you looking for a mentor, accountability, craft lessons, customized assignments, and a close-knit group to share your writing with week to week? You might be ready to join our Intensive Coaching Cohorts.
This Intensive Coaching Cohort (ICC) is specifically designed for writers who are actively putting words on the page (or want to be), and have the time and desire to spend six months writing, revising, and getting personalized feedback and plans for their work-in-progress. Students will join a small creative cohort of 6 students who share a commitment to the process.
This program is here to walk you through every step of your writing journey.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Students will meet weekly, on Zoom, for 1.5-hour sessions.
- 1st week: Group meeting with craft talk
- 2nd week: Group write-in with mentor prompts
- 3rd week: One-on-one meetings (½ hour) with mentor to go over individual goals, progress, or pages submitted.
(Following each one-on-one meeting, the mentor will email each student with individual assignments, deadlines, and goals for the the coming month)
- 4th week: Group meeting with optional sharing of work
Students may submit up to 25 pages for review every month, to be discussed at the 1:1 meeting. Each meeting is designed to provide the most benefit to writers, so if you don’t have work to submit that month, you may use the 1:1 meeting to talk big-picture ideas, seek advice, or just chat about the writing life.
The Cohort is limited to 6 students. There is no application process but when you register you are encouraged to send a writing sample so that the mentor can get a sense of your writing and project ahead of time and start preparing a more customized approach.
Between class sessions, you’ll have plenty of time to write and revise while staying in touch with other students via StoryStudio’s private online class forum. Brainstorm, vent, or just use it to discuss your favorite current read. The forum is also a great place to voluntarily exchange work with each other for feedback.
This process is meant to help with generation of new material, so feedback on pages will not be reflective of a Manuscript Consultation. Rather, the meetings and feedback of your work will be a time for steering the narrative, broad strokes on craft elements, and macro edits.
WHO IS IT FOR?
- Any writer, any level, any genre, with the agreement that you are dedicated and committed to making the most of the six months in the group.
- Someone who’s considered taking one of our In A Year courses, but wants more attention, feedback, or exercises.
- Someone with a draft of a book, whether it’s 3 pages, 50, or 200.
- Someone who isn’t sure of what they’re writing but wants guidelines and accountability for developing and sustaining a serious writing practice.
- Local or virtual students; we will rotate our offering formats each time we run this program.
WHAT DO YOU GET?
The added bonus of joining an ICC is built-in StoryStudio perks. You’ll be considered a VIP student with first looks and dibs on upcoming classes, events, and even complimentary access to a few of our special offerings. Here’s everything you get both in the ICC program and beyond.
- 6 months of one-on-one and group coaching
- Individual assignments and deadlines
- At least 5 private meetings with your mentor
- 20 Weekly group meetings
- Feedback on pages (up to 25 pages per month)
- A Slack channel with other cohort members, and the option to arrange extra write-ins, meetups, or page swaps
- Weekly or monthly deadlines and accountability, as needed
- Complimentary access to three PJ seminars (online Master Classes) and some recorded lectures
- Complimentary access to the Writers Room for local students (eligible for the 6 months you’re active in the program)
- Complimentary access to Pub Crawl
- First signup access for the next cohort from that mentor or in that genre, so you can keep going
WHO IS MY MENTOR?
You may know her as one of our veteran and beloved instructors of Novel in a Year: Abby Geni will be leading the Jan-June 2024 group of Intensive Coaching Cohorts. Abby Geni is the author of The Wildlands, The Lightkeepers, The Last Animal, and a forthcoming short story collection, The Body Farm, which will be published in the spring of 2024. Her books have been translated into seven languages and have won the Barnes & Noble Discover Award and the Chicago Review of Books Awards, among other honors. Her short stories have won first place in the Glimmer Train Fiction Open and the Chautauqua Contest and have been published in numerous journals, including The Missouri Review, Epoch, Ninth Letter, and New Stories from the Midwest. Abby frequently serves as Visiting Associate Professor of Fiction at the University of Iowa Writers’ Workshop.
Abby has been teaching with StoryStudio for nearly a decade, helping numerous students get published as well as making an impact on their craft and storytelling abilities. Coaching one-on-one with students is a key strength of Abby’s teaching style. She tailors her feedback and guidance and encourages collaboration in the process.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
Tuition for this six-month program is $6,000.
A payment plan is available for either $1,000/month, or $3,000 paid out twice during the course of the program. If paying in installments, a contract will be initiated to ensure full payment is received.
TUESDAYS at 6:30pm Central
WHAT’S DIFFERENT ABOUT OUR ADVANCED PROGRAMS? EVERYTHING.
The instructors for our Advanced Courses are rockstars. They are dedicated members of the literary community who are actively publishing novels, memoirs, and collections.
Though time and space can be in short supply, having a friendly and encouraging cohort will help you meet those word count goals and deadlines. It’s quite a motivator!
Cohort & Community
Who said you have to go it alone? Taking continuous classes with the same cohort of students will give you the chance build strong and lasting bonds, participate in the community, and be listed as a StoryStudio VIP student with “first chance” opportunities for future classes.