YOUTH WRITING CONTESTS
Calling all young writers in grades 5th-12th! StoryStudio Chicago is pleased to host a youth writing contest with two winners receiving a cash prize or admission into a youth writing class. Details can be found below, and winning pieces will be published on our website and newsletter.
The 2022 fall contest is: 3-Objects
CONTEST OPEN SEPT. 1 – SEPT. 30, 2022
This year, StoryStudio Chicago is pleased to invite you to enter our annual PROSE contest with the chance to win a $100 cash prize, or free enrollment in a single-session workshop, or one free hour with our Youth Manuscript Consultations/Mentorship by December 2023! All submissions must follow the below guidelines.
Submissions will open on September 1 and close on September 30 at midnight. A guest judge will anonymously choose one winner from the 5th-8th grade division, and one winner from the 9th-12th grade division. The decisions of the judge are final and binding. Winners in each division will be individually notified of the results by email provided no later than October 21.
Guidelines & Rules:
- Participants must currently be in grades 5 – 12 and have parent/guardian consent.
- Your story must be original and unpublished. Any plagiarized entries will be immediately disqualified.
- Your story must be no less than 150 words and no more than 300 (words NOT characters, not including Title or other pertinent information). Please be sure to monitor your word count!
- Your story must include ALL 3 OBJECTS:
- Immediate family members of any SSC Faculty, Staff, or Board of Directors cannot submit.
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
- A guest judge will anonymously choose one winner from the 5th-8th grade division, and one winner from the 9th-12th grade division. The decisions of the judge are final and binding.
- Entrants retain all publication rights.
- Prizes for Best Story will be awarded: $100 cash prize, or free enrollment in a single-session workshop, or one free hour with our Youth Manuscript Consultations/Mentorship by December 2023
- Submission will be open on Sept. 1 and close on Sept. 30 at midnight on
- Only 1 entry per participant. Once a story entry is submitted, it cannot be unsubmitted for revision or editing. It may be permanently withdrawn for other reasons, but not resubmitted. Please read all information carefully before making a final submission.
- Winners in each division will be individually notified of the results by email provided no later than October 15.
- This contest is void where prohibited by law.
- Include only a TITLE on your story document–no NAME, ADDRESS, or other personal information should appear on your document (that will automatically be collected during submission).
- Double-spaced, 12 point font
- Please save your story as a Word Document (not PDF) with the Title of story and your grade.
- For Example: “Fun Times_10th Grade”
- DO NOT INCLUDE ANY OTHER INFORMATION on your document!
SUBMISSIONS OPEN THROUGH SEPTEMBER 30