YOUTH WRITING CONTESTS
Calling all young writers in grades 5th-12th! StoryStudio Chicago is pleased to host a youth writing contest with two winners receiving a cash prize or admission into a youth writing class. Details can be found below, and over time, we’ll create a place to house and publish the writing from our submitters.
The 2021 contest will be for students to write a story between 150-300 words incorporating three objects: A Kite, a Beach, and a Safety Pin.
- A guest judge will anonymously choose one winner from the 5th-8th grade division, and one winner from the 9th-12th grade division. The decisions of the judge are final and binding.
- $3 Entry Fee is required which will be collected during electronic submission.
- Entrants retain all publication rights.
- Prizes for Best Story will be awarded: $100 cash prize or $50 plus tuition waiver for a single-session workshop by December 2022.
- Submission will be open on September 1st and close on September 30th at 11:59pm on Submittable. All contest participants must have a (free) Submittable account to enter their story.
- Once a story entry is submitted, it cannot be unsubmitted for revision or editing. It may be permanently withdrawn for other reasons, but not resubmitted. Please read all information carefully before making a final submission.
- Winners in each division will be individually notified of the results by email provided.
- This contest is void where prohibited by law.
Guidelines & Rules:
- Participants must currently be in grades 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12 and have parent/guardian consent.
- Your story must be original and unpublished. Any plagiarized entries will be immediately disqualified.
- Your story must be between 150 and 300 words (words NOT characters, not including Title or other pertinent information). Please be sure to monitor your word count!
- Your story must include ALL THREE OBJECTS: Kite, Safety Pin, Beach.
- You are allowed to enter up to two stories; a separate entry fee applies for each entry.
- Immediate family members of any StoryStudio Faculty, Staff, or Board of Directors cannot submit.
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
- Include only a TITLE on your story document – no NAME, ADDRESS, or other personal information should appear on your story (that will automatically be collected during submission).
- Double-spaced, 12 point font.
- Please save your story as a Word Document (not PDF) with the Title of Story and your grade.
- For Example: “Fun Times_10th Grade”
- DO NOT INCLUDE ANY OTHER INFORMATION on your document!
HOW TO SUBMIT
Please create a Submittable account if you do not already have one. The account is free and easy to use. A credit card is needed to submit the submission fee of $3. Submittable account information can be found by clicking here.
There are two categories for submissions: Grades 5-8 and Grades 9-12. Please submit according to the grade level you’re currently in.READY TO SUBMIT? CLICK HERE!